How do you repair a commercial flat roof?
If you have a flat roof on your commercial building, you don’t have to despair it is damaged or leaking. Damage and leaks don’t necessarily mean you have to replace the roof. A commercial roof repair may be all you need. There are various methods you can use to repair a flat roof.
- Add a roof coating: Many choose this option because roof coatings like silicone or acrylic will seal over pinhole leaks and prevent further leaks from developing.
- Patch leaks: The leak will need to be located. Then you head up to the roof and patch the leak.
- Seal membrane blisters: Cut through the blister, dry the area underneath and seal it with roof cement, tar or a patch.
Without the right tools or skills, you may do more harm than good on a repair job. If you have a damaged flat roof or other commercial roof and need commercial roof repair in Montgomery, AL, leave it to the professionals at Innovative Construction Pros for the best results. We provide a full range of repair options for commercial and residential roofs. Find out how we can help by calling (334) 274-8485.
How do you stop a flat roof from leaking?
Leaks are among the most common problems when it comes to commercial roof repair. Flat roofs in particular often wind up with leaks because of poor drainage. Water ponds on the roof and leaks eventually develop. To keep your flat roof from developing leaks, you can follow these simple maintenance steps.
- Regularly clean the roof. When debris accumulates on the roof, it slows down drainage.
- Inspect the roof’s drainage system for clogs or damage.
- Add flashing around vents and exhausts. The flashing will prevent water from leaking in these vulnerable areas.
- Apply a roof coating. Seamless coatings seal up pinhole leaks and waterproof the roof.
What can I use to seal a leaking roof?
The type of material you use to seal a leaking roof will depend on the type of roof you have. Roofing cement and sealants work well, even for commercial roof repair, especially when applied over cracks around pipes and vents. You can also use patches. For commercial roofs, you’ll have to use patches that match the roofing material for the patch to be effective. Having a roof coating applied will also seal pinhole leaks. While most of these repairs are simple, if the damage is extensive, it’s best to call in a professional roofing contractor like Innovative Construction Pros to make repairs. Significant wear and tear, weathering or aging may indicate it’s time to replace the roof instead.
What’s the best roof sealant?
There are multiple products on the market today used as roof sealant for commercial roof repair. Some of the top-rated sealants include:
- Henry HE587372 acrylic
- Dicor RP-CRC-1 rubber acrylic
- Primesource GCESRC2 silicone
- Deck Flex Elastomeric silicone
- Deck Flex All-Purpose acrylic
Does roof coating stop leaks?
Roof coatings are really good for stopping leaks. In fact, roof coatings are often applied in commercial roof repair to prevent leaks from ever occurring again. These coatings form a seamless barrier over the roof that not only prevents damage like leaks but also gives your roof added protection from UV rays. Moreover, they improve your roof’s energy efficiency.
How often should you coat a flat roof?
Flat roofs tend to require more maintenance than other roofs. One of the most common ways the roof stays well maintained is through the application of a roof coating. You can on average get about 10 years of life from an uncoated roof. If you coat it every five years or so will extend the roof’s life greatly. You’ll also save a great deal on commercial roof repair.
What is the best way to waterproof a flat roof?
Although flat roofs aren’t actually completely flat—they have a slight low slope—water is still a major enemy of flat roofs. These roofs tend to drain poorly, even with built-in drainage systems. When it comes to managing drainage on the roof, a roof coating like silicone or elastomeric will serve as a great waterproofing barrier on the roof. Some flat roofing materials like TPO are also better-suited for waterproofing your roof.
How do I stop my roof leaking in the rain?
No matter how well maintained your roof is heavy rains may cause leaks. To slow those leaks down while it’s still raining you can follow these measures:
- Find the source. The leak has probably made it inside to your ceiling and the water will begin to discolor the ceiling where the leak is dripping down onto it.
- Remove the ceiling tiles and repair the internal leak using a sealant or roofing tar.
Can I claim for a leaking roof on insurance?
For commercial roof repair you want to check your commercial property insurance policy to see if the repairs are covered. When you’re reading through the policy you’ll want to check to see if the roof is covered in its entirety. This means all parts of the roof from the decking to the surface. You’ll also want to find out what specific damages are covered. Many policies will cover incidents like wind-borne damage or problems like insect damage. Lack of maintenance generally isn’t covered. If you have any questions, contact your insurer.
If you are in need of professionals for commercial roof repair in Montgomery, AL, the team to turn to is Innovative Construction Pros. We offer a full range of repair options for all varieties of roofs. Find out how we can help you by calling today at (334) 274-8485.