As a child, you were probably scared of the harsh winds screaming past your windows, the thunder booming its battle cry, and the rain pounding against the roof and your windows. As an adult though, storms are scary for an entirely different reason than just the haunting sounds. Storm damage. As a homeowner, the threat of severe storms to one’s home is a frightening reality to face. Allow Innovative Construction Pros to be your partner in setting your life back in order after a severe storm. Call us at (334) 274-8485 to talk to an expert roofing contractor about fixing your roof and making it stronger before the next storm comes.
What Is Storm Damage?
What is it about storms that can wreak so much havoc on the roof of a home? Strong winds can put a lot of strain on shingles, causing them to become damaged or in worst cases, torn off completely. Wind can also carry with it debris, such as tree limbs and garbage that can smack into your roof. This can cause damage to the shingles or cause holes in the weak parts of your roof. Hail can cause impact damage on shingles, tear holes into weakened parts of a roof, and dents into chimneys and flashings.
In whichever case, storm damage to your home can lead to serious problems if not addressed shortly after it happens. It may be hard to spot storm damage though, and because of this reason, we have taken the time to break down what things to look for when inspecting your roof for potential storm damage.
- Perform An Outdoor Inspection– Look around your yard for any missing shingles that may have blown off of your roof. Then move onto looking at your roof, looking for any signs of damage to the shingles or signs of shingles becoming detached. If you notice a large patch of missing shingles from your roof, it is advised to call an experienced roofing contractor, as it is a sign of major damage to your roof. (Want a roofer you can turn to? Call Innovative Construction Pros at (334) 274-8485 in Montgomery, AL to speak with a representative today!)
- Check flashings on your roof, around your chimney, and on skylights. Damage to these areas can leave your house susceptible to leaks which could cause water damage to your home.
- Inspect gutters for debris clogged into the pipes. Clogged gutters from debris shows higher potential for the same debris having slammed into your roof first.
- Leaning Chimneys or missing parts of brick are signs of damage from strong winds or hail.
- Warped soffits and fascias point towards a leak which could be from decaying lumber or from broken seals. This needs to be fixed, as any water or moisture trapped inside could cause major damage to your home and threaten the integrity of your roof.
- Perform an Indoor Inspection– Even if there is no apparent sign of damage on the outside of your home, the inside of your home could give you information about the status of your roof.
- Stains or bubbling in the ceiling point towards a leak in the roof, either caused by damage from debris or a broken/weakened flashing near chimneys and skylights. If this is the case, call a professional immediately, as water damage can hurt the integrity of your roof and damage the possessions in your home.
- Mold or Mildew on walls or ceilings also points towards a leak. This is especially alarming as mold and mildew can have negative health effects on you and your family. This can include chest pain, nasal congestion, and a sore throat.
- A sudden surge in energy costs is a sign of damaged ventilation.
Storm Damage Repair and Restoration
If you notice any of the signs of storm damage to your roof, do not hesitate to act. Avoiding the problem will not make it go away, and the longer it takes for action, the worse the damages are going to be and the more expensive the repairs. Call a professional roofing company, like Montgomery, AL, to get in contact with an expert roofer to receive an estimate on your home. They will do an inspection and tell you what damages have been done to your home and what the projected repairs are going to cost. Usually they will be able to do an emergency roof repair, quickly replacing broken shingles or fixing broken flashings. If more extensive repairs need to be done, like a partial roof replacement, they will be able to do temporary fixes that will keep the roof from further damage while the repairs are being done.
It is advised to be wary of door to door roofers, as they will convince you that you need repairs and then deliver them haphazardly and disappear before you can get the faulty repairs fixed. It is always advised to call roofers who have a strong web presence and strong customer reviews, such as your trusted roofers at Innovative Construction Pros. Call us today at (334) 274-8485 to receive an estimate.
Is Storm Damage Covered By Homeowners Insurance?
Homeowners insurance typically covers damages done by hail, lightning, and wind damage. You should always contact the company that your homeowner’s insurance is with, as some damages, such as a few lost shingles may not be covered. (They can be considered just cosmetic damage.) If you need help filing a claim, the roofing company that you choose to work with will be able to give you an extensive list of what was damaged and how much it will cost to replace. This can help your case with insurance companies.
Keep in mind, waiting until the storm damage becomes a major problem is not going to get you anywhere with your insurance provider. Instead, they could deny you coverage for waiting too long to take care of the original problem.
How Can I Better Protect My Home From Storm Damage?
While there is never a 100 percent guarantee on any damage resistant material, some materials are better than others when it comes to limiting the amount of damage that could be done to your roof.
Different shingle types, such as wood shake shingles, can endure impacts from tree limbs, hail, and other debris brought on by severe storms and wind. Having a stronger type of shingle may cost you more initially, but can help save you money in the long term.
Trimming back trees and making sure their branches cannot reach your roof is another great way to avoid damages. Larger trees whose limbs are close to your roof increase the threat that limbs will scrape up against your roof, damaged or weakened branches can come crashing down on your roof. In extreme cases, the tree itself could come crashing down onto your roof, which is extremely dangerous and can cause catastrophic damages. It is important to keep up the maintenance of the trees in your yard, remove dead ones, and cut back branches of healthier trees.
If your roof sustained damage after the last major storm or you want to strengthen your roof by getting stronger shingles, call Innovative Construction Pros at (334) 274-8485 today in Montgomery, AL to talk with a professional roofer. We are dedicated to making your home safe and helping keep the health and integrity of your roof strong.